George’s Vision for Bristol
This is your chance to elect a City Mayor who has a vision for Bristol and a proven track record of real-world achievement and urban regeneration. George is the ONLY candidate who can beat Labour and deliver REAL change.
- My only purpose is to make Bristol, the city I love, a better city for all. I have no political ambition beyond Bristol where I have chosen to live and, work for 47 years.
- We may live in the best city in Britain, but it has been held back by politics and party bickering. As your independent mayor I promise to put Bristol 1st and to champion it across the world.
- I will work with you to regenerate the pride in Bristol and its people that has been undermined by years of political squabbling.
- Together we can make real change happen and give Bristol the strong, decisive leadership it needs. I will get Bristol working and nobody will receive favoured treatment due to their party affiliation.
- Vote to put Bristol 1st. Make sure the world is talking about us for the right reasons. Help me free Bristol from failed party politics on November 15th.
My Vision for Bristol
1 Getting Bristol Moving
- I will work to establish an Integrated Transport Authorityin conjunction with our neighbouring authorities.
- I will strike a City Deal with Government that includes enhanced rail, tram and bus service alternatives to the flawed BRT bendy bus.
- I will seek to introduce a Bristol Freedom Pass for all forms of public transport and access to city venues, public services and facilities.
- I will make our city centre accessible and inspiringto all, creating a city fit for residents and commuters, pedestrians and cyclists, disabled and able-bodied. An inclusive city fit for all.
- I will revoke Sunday parking charges, designed to annoy and frustrate whilst producing minimal benefits.
My vision. A city where people can get where they want to go, however they want to travel.
2 Getting Bristol Working
- I will work with the council, our colleges and other providers to increase the training opportunities for young people.
- I will work with our universities and industry to meet the demand for higher skilled jobs, including the delivering of key technical skills required for a 21st century economy.
- I will seek to make Bristol an exemplar in low carbon technology and clean renewable energy.
- I will work to build a knowledge economy and see that Bristol is recognised as a ‘City of Science and Innovation’.
- I will not rest until the deficit of Primary School places across Bristol is solved.
My vision. A city of opportunity and improved employment prospects where everyone has a chance to develop their skills.
3 A Healthy and Caring Bristol
- I will prioritise Bristol’s community day care for the elderly.
- I will ensure the building of more affordable accommodation across Bristol.
- I will work to reduce damaging emissions and improve Bristol’s air quality.
- I will grow a greener Bristol, planting more trees and encouraging local food production.
- I will champion the protection of Bristol’s Green Belt and farmland, and will prioritise the redevelopment of derelict city sites.
- I will ensure all our children have inspiring places to play with equal opportunity of access to quality play space.
My vision. A greener city that promotes and improves the health and wellbeing of all its citizens.
Vote for George on November 15th
4 A Democratic Bristol
- I will change the fortress culture of the ‘Council House’ to that of a people’s ‘City Hall’ encouraging meaningful citizen participation.
- I will appoint a Deputy Mayor and a cabinet of 5 ‘Assistant Mayors’ on the basis of talent and experience regardless of political party.
- I will replace the Chief Executive with a Chief Operating Officer who has practical and relevant business experience.
- I will appoint two Youth Mayors, one male, one female, to champion youth provision.
- I will devolve power to local communities and local people, allowing them to make local decisions about local issues that directly affect them.
My vision. A democratic city, governed for everyone, freed of party politics.
5 Making Bristol Great
- I will champion Bristol across the world, promoting itsmany attributes as an outward looking city.
- I will build on Bristol’s strengths of creative and ‘green’ industries, engineering and specialist manufacturing to attract new investment.
- I will seek World Heritage status for the Clifton Suspension Bridge and Avon Gorge – the internationally recognised symbol of our city.
- I will encourage the restoration of Bristol’s historic Dutch House and High Street destroyed in the war.
My vision. A more beautiful city, known and admired across the world.
“I believe George Ferguson offers Bristol the best hope for a strong, independent future as a cultural and exciting European City. For working parents, like me, with young children, his promotion of Adventure Play is just one of many examples of the real difference he makes for local people and families.”
Esther O’Callaghan OBE Founder, The Factory Foundation
6 A Vibrant Bristol
- I will deliver an Arena for Bristol at Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone.
- I will work with our clubs and players to develop great sports and recreation facilities to turn us into a ‘City of Sport’.
- I will seek to open our school resources for the benefit of local communities, encouraging wider use of valuable facilities.
- I will encourage arts and cultural events across Bristol building on a growing reputation as a city of festivals and street parties.
- I will use my experience to create great public spaces in the city.
- I will establish Town Teams across Bristol, modelled on our Greater Bedminster success, to revitalise our high streets and independent shops.
My vision. A city with artistic, sporting and neighbourhood facilities that meet your needs and attract others to visit.
7 A Safer Bristol
- I will prioritise making our streets safer for all.
- I will create safer routes to school to encourage walking and cycling amongst younger generations.
- I will listen to our youth organisations and work with them to provide inspiring opportunities to reduce unsocial behaviour, crime and drug abuse.
- I will campaign to keep party politics out of policing starting with supporting an Independent Police and Crime Commissioner and will work closely with her and the Chief Constable to ensure Bristol has sufficient and appropriate policing.
My vision. A city where everyone feels safe whatever they are doing and wherever they are.